Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Hopefully not just another food blog.

So it all begins with this blog. I started a weblog back in '99, way before they coined the term "blog". Yes. It has been that long. It was on a site called livejournal. Hell my blog may still be up there. Anyway, this was well before I found my calling for sharp objects and bloody items.

I've completed my "10000 hours" to become a cook more than once. My food reflects this repetition.  Practice makes perfect and muscle memory makes my knife handling kinda fun to watch. I try not to be a pretentious cook. Like I said I try.  Food on a plate is good. Good food on a plate is better. But having visually appealing food plated well is a totally different experience. 

It is amazing how much color and shape can affect how our minds interpret how food should taste. Creating food is not solely based on flavor combinations. Your sense of smell plays a major role in the experience. Texture rounds out the equation.  Eating is truthfully a full body experience.

A couple decades ago people went to restaurants because the restaurant had a great reputation. No one knew or cared about the chef.  Nowadays, people go to restaurant because they are following a particular chef.
Hopefully, one day that particular goal shall be achieved...

Anyway, I am starting this blog to rant, analyze, and explain my time in the kitchen. I'm here to post strange recipes measured in metric of weird food I like. Well it won't always be weird. Pictures will definitely be posted... Sorry to all the innocent parties. So come join me on my culinary misadventures and mishaps. Just be a little patient... between tempering chocolate training a new staff I promise to try and be interesting.  And in the end you'll at least get a cool recipe or two.

J-

No comments:

Post a Comment